Thursday, March 29, 2007

Dusty Feet Dry Hands


March 06
I was in Bath & Body Works today, and feel like I had a divine moment. For one.. I NEVER go in there. The last time I set foot in one was like 3,4 years ago in an AIRPORT on my way to my cousin's wedding, when I was alone!! Additionally, I don't even think about taking Trevor such places... but since I had a coupon and "NEEDED" oh yea... "needed"...to buy some lotion... I went in to see how LITTLE money I could spend and how fast I could get out of there with my $13 free item.
I've always been rather embarrassed of my hands, and this time of the year, they are so dry, it's like I have crocodile skin. I'm lucky if they're simply NOT bleeding, they can get so bad. WELL, I saw this stuff for SUPER SUPER dry hands and the sales girl asked me if I wanted to try it. I OF COURSE said yes... and she proceeded to put some on her OWN wrist, and I was thinking... hummmm... uh, how is that.. uh... and well, before I could figure out what she was doing... she was PUTTING LOTION ON MY HANDS!!!! Ok... this is definitely one of those areas of struggle for me...maybe because I'm embarassed of my hands, but mostly because SOMEONE ELSE IS DOING IT!! It was really humbling, BUT I really just soaked it all in, literally, and felt like WOW... I am getting more than just $13 of free stuff... I just got a free hand massage!!!
Here's a stranger putting lotion on my really really dry hands, and I felt like Jesus was doing it. Interrupting my busy day with a moment of pampering me with something I could have totally done for myself. It's just like Him to humble Himself and serve us at not only our deepest need, but our most practical need. Our hands are so important as women. We serve with them all day, in countless ways. Through the forms we fill out, the hugs we give, the debit cards we use, the groceries we buy and load onto the belt at the checkout, and then into our cars, and then into our homes, and into our cupboards, our hands are working overtime most of the time. We get the mail, cook dinner, bathe our children, vacuum the floors, change the sheets on the beds, write thank you notes and Birthday cards, work at our jobs, feed the pets, fold the laundry.... and like FEET on a dusty road...way back then, that got DIRTY... our hands get DRY!!! Especially in the winter. I treasure the way we all individually use our hands to do this thing called womanhood. But we need each other.
So, the next time you dig in your purse to find that tube of lotion, put some on your own hands and then reach out and shock that friend beside you. Not only will you be meeting a very practical need, you just may even be used of God to do something meaningful for them through human touch and a little humility. If the whole "lotioning someone else's hands just freaks you out too much (I'm not too sure how long it will take me to get up the nerve... guess I need to go work at Bath & Body Works to get desensitized??? Yea!! That's an idea!!!) just take the next opportunity that presents itself, to be Jesus to someone, and do for them something simple that they could do for themselves.

No comments: